What documents do I need to file my taxes? The documents you need depend on your situation, but here is a list of the most common.

  • For each family member
    • Name
    • Date of birth
    • Social Security Card/ITIN/ATIN
    • Last year’s tax return
    • Valid identification i.e. driver’s license or state-issued ID card
  • Income and Tax Information
    • From your employer – most situations – W-2 form.
    • Self-employed – 1099-MISC from the company.
    • Mortgage -Form 1098 from the mortgage company regarding the interest you paid.
    • Unemployed – You must claim unemployment benefits as income and pay taxes on those benefits. You will receive a 1099-G form with the dollar amount of benefits you received. The IRS receives a copy and will tax you based on your tax rate. You may receive a refund if you worked during the tax year even if you received unemployment benefits. We will let you know if you will.
    • Interest – 1099-INT or substitute
    • Dividend – 1099-DIV or substitute
    • Stock Sales – 1099-B or Broker Statement
    • Self-Employment Income and Expenses
    • Sale of a Personal Residence
    • Rental Income and Expenses
    • Sale of any Business Assets
    • Gambling or Lottery Winnings – W-2G for some winnings
    • State Income Tax Refund – 1099-G
    • Pension Income – 1099-R
    • Estimated Taxes Paid
    • Social Security SSA-1099 or Railroad Retirement RRB-1099
    • IRA or 401(k) Distribution 1099-R
    • Miscellaneous Income 1099-MISC
  • Deductions/Adjustments
    • Medical Expenses
    • Real Estate or Personal Property Taxes
    • Mortgage Interest
    • Charitable Contributions (cash or non-cash)
    • Employee Business Expenses
    • Gambling Losses
    • Moving Expenses
    • Traditional IRA contributions
    • Higher Education Expenses
    • Educator Expenses
    • Student Loan Interest
  • Tax Credits
    • Child Care Provider/Address and Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number
    • Adoption Expenses
    • Retirement Savings Contributions Credit

I am a full-time student who has a work-study job. Do I need to file those wages? The IRS wants all income reported on your taxes, including work-study. You will receive a W-2 from your school. Use that to file your taxes.

I was given a gift of money, do I need to claim that as income? No, it is not income but a gift. It is not taxable to you on your Federal or State taxes.

I was given money when a family member died. Do I pay taxes on it? The answer is generally no, but there are some cases where you may be. If you have a property you received as an inheritance that at any time produces an income for you, the income becomes taxable. You will want to talk to us to make sure we know the circumstances and can guide you on how to handle this situation going forward.

What do I do if I don’t have a receipt for a charitable deduction? If you have the name of the organization you donated to, date, location, and a detailed description of what you donated – consider the fair market value of the item(s) and you SHOULD be fine. For cash donations, a canceled check or a payroll deduction is often enough proof.

My home is in foreclosure, how does this affect my taxes? If you have been told that you have some gain from the sale of your property or receiving credited income from debt forgiveness, your best course of action is to make an appointment to talk with our tax specialists about your situation and bring along the documentation you received. Only with this information can we give you an accurate answer on how it will affect your taxes.

I have filed bankruptcy, how does it affect my taxes? The answer to this question depends on what chapter of bankruptcy you filed. If you filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy, federal taxes are exempt from discharge. If you are filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you will have to file your taxes and pay any money owed. If you do not file and pay during a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, it can affect your claim. The court could dismiss your claim for relief. You will then owe all your debts you sought relief from with bankruptcy.

I am legally separated, how do I file taxes with my soon to be ex-spouse? You may want to file jointly if you have in the past. However, you will have to deal with your spouse during the tax preparation and filing. You will have to address the refund if there is one expected or amount owed. In the future, if you are audited you will have to work with your spouse on the audit.

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux